The Mdoka White Lips Cichlid is a relatively peaceful African cichlid and can be kept with a broad range of other Malawi cichlids, they have an amazing blue coloration that highlights the striking contrast of their white lips. The species naturally feeds from the sediment and particle clouds that are passed through the gills of larger sand-digging species. In the home aquarium, they can be kept singularly or in groups with little aggression between the dominant males.
The Mdoka White Lips Cichlid can be bred in the home aquarium and ideally, they should be kept in a minimum of 300 liters due to their overall size. 1 male to 3 or more females is an ideal ratio if breeding. The Mdoka White Lips Cichlids are a mouth brooder and you can expect a female to have a brood size of up to approximately 40 fry when fully mature.
In the aquarium, they will feed on readily available foods such as Cichlid pellets, Veggie Flakes and Frozen Foods.
- Species – Placidochromis phenochilus sp. Mdoka White Lips
- Common Name – Mdoka White Lips
- Origin – Lake Malawi
- Diet – Carnivore/Omnivore
- PH Range – Alkaline 7.5 – 8.5
- Water Type – Hard
- Temperature – Tropical 24°c
- Breed Type – Mouth brooder
- Current Size – approximately 5cm (Grows to approximately 20cm)
- Sex – Un-sexed