The Ruti Island Flameback Cichlid comes from Lake Victoria in the southern part of the lake belonging entirely to Tanzania. They are mostly restricted to rocky, littoral habitats around islands, and particularly associated with shelf-like formations.
An extremely colourful cichlid , growing to approximately 5 inches, the Ruti Island or Pundamilia Nyererei cichlid as it is also known; is a semi-aggressive but popular addition to the African cichlid aquarium.
Aim to house them in aquaria that is relatively shallow with lots of rock work, with one male to a few females to disperse possible aggression.
They are omnivores and accept a wide variety of foods, however aim to definitely include protein and spirulina, this will help to magnify the intensity of the red, green and yellow colours that set this fish apart.
- Species – Pundamilia Nyererei (Ruti Island)
- Common Name – Ruti Island Flameback Cichlid
- Origin – Lake Victoria
- Diet – Omnivore
- PH Range – Alkaline 7.5 – 8.5
- Water Type – Hard
- Temperature – Tropical 24°c
- Breed Type – Mouth brooder
- Current Size – approximately 4cm (Grows to approximately 10cm)
- Sex – Un-sexed